In October 2008, Evergreen Solution began a project with the Program Evaluation Division of the North Carolina General Assembly, as part of the Appropriations Act of 2008, to conduct a Policy Analysis of Education Governance in North Carolina. This analysis included a review of the State Board of Education, the State Superintendent of Education, and the Department of Public Instruction.
The study included, but was not limited to:
- analysis of the roles of agencies and individuals;
- analysis of governance structure;
- review of oversight and accountability;
- peer state education agency size and output comparison;
- analysis of Department of Public Instruction organization problems;
- analysis of Department of Public Instruction accountability and quality; and
- best practices assessment of similar organizations.
The study concluded with a comprehensive report and implementation plan, multiple presentations to the General Assembly, and draft legislation.